Judge George Andrew Graham

Entered office: January 01, 1935 | Left office: January 01, 1939
Date of birth: February 16, 1891 in Scurry, Kaufman County, Texas
Date of death: August 21, 1978 in Lubbock, Lubbock County, Texas
Place of burial: Forest Lawn Cemetery, Ruidoso, Lincoln County, New Mexico



George Andrew Graham was born in Scurry, Kaufman County, Texas on February 16, 1891. He was soldier in the United States Army during World War I and was stationed at Camp Bowie, near Fort Forth. After being discharged Graham, his wife, Bessie, and their oldest daughter moved to New Deal, Texas where they farmed with Grahamís father, Samuel. By 1924 the Grahams had four children and one on the way. A bumper crop was made but they were forced to give up their lease. They were faced with the decision of using the money they had on hand to buy a strip of land in Lubbock or file a claim for property in New Mexico and use the money to purchase farming equipment and relocate near Bledsoe. The family decided on the farm land. After the arrival of their fifth child the family moved but were unable to drill deep enough to get water. After five years of hauling water, driving school buses, and farming, the land near Bledsoe was theirs and three more children had been born to the family. In 1931 the family moved to a farm five miles east of Morton where their ninth child was born. Graham farmed this land and worked for CWA from 1932 to 1934. Beatrice, their second oldest daughter, developed pneumonia and died on February 17, 1934 at the age of 13. Graham was elected Cochran County Judge in 1935 and served in that capacity until 1939. The first marriage he performed as judge was Edith (Skeet) Stewart and Perry Tichenor. After his term as county judge, the Grahams operated a restaurant on the east side of the square and the former judge taught at Morton High School and drove a school bus during World War II. They sold the cafe in 1947 to Jesse Carol Burns and the Grahams moved to Ruidoso, New Mexico, where they operated a bowling alley, rented cabins and assisted with chuck wagon suppers. During this time they also operated Main Street Drug in Lubbock between 1950 and 1955.

Source: Texas Sesquicentennial Texas’ Last Frontier Cochran County 1836-1986 Volume 1. Copyright Cochran County Historical Commission written by Mary Graham circa 1985 adapted by Mary Helen McKnight 2016
Image courtesy Texas’ Last Frontier Historical Museum



Copyright Notice: Copyright © 2013-2017 Mary Helen McKnight.
DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THIS INFORMATION OR ASSOCIATED IMAGES TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA SITE WITHOUT PROVIDING A LINK BACK TO THIS PAGE!
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of individuals who are researching their family history and/or the history of Cochran County. Data may be freely used by non-commercial entities and individuals, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial/for profit use of any material on this site without prior permission of the coordinator/author IS PROHIBITED! The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit. You may NOT copy and paste information from this site on another website without first obtaining permission; this copyright notice must be included. Contributions to this site remain the property of the submitter and will not be sold or distributed without prior consent. Persons wanting to use information from this site on another are required to obtain written permission from the original submitter.